BRITISH PARACHUTE ASSOCIATION ―
APPROVED TANDEM PARACHUTE MODIFICATIONS
'PLEASE NOTE: Some previously recorded clearances have been removed. For the full wording, go to ‘PART 2 - TANDEM - GENERAL’ and see RIGGERS 15th Feb 01
, Item 5, TANDEM MODIFICATIONS
|Aug 94 ||To use a RSL changed to 1 pin system, change main closure from cable to pin on the Tandem Galaxy. (NOT CLEARED for general use) |
|Feb 96 ||Acceptance of Tandem Atom. (Also see Riggers minutes, Dec 96) |
|Aug 96 ||Use a Tandem Strong passenger harness with a Tandem Galaxy container with changes as presented. (NOT CLEARED for general use) |
|Aug 98 ||Tandem Vector Student harness for use with Tandem Atom. (Cleared for all) |
|Oct 98 ||Approval of Tandem Atom for use with chest mounted secondary drogue handle. (Cleared for all) |
|Feb 99 ||To use a PD360 reserve in a Tandem Atom. (Cleared for all) |
|Dec 99||Any Tandem Main into any Tandem Container IMPORTANT See full wording in Part 2 - Tandem - General section.|
|Feb 04 ||Approval of Military version of a Tandem Atom rig, to be used for Student civilian use. (Cleared for all) |
PLEASE NOTE: Some previously recorded clearances have been removed. For the full wording, go to ‘PART 2 - TANDEM - GENERAL’ and see RIGGERS 15th Feb 01, Item 5, TANDEM MODIFICATIONS
RIGGERS 11th Aug 94
6. TANDEM MODIFICATIONS (NOT CLEARED for general use)
Peter Carroll requested approval for modifications that had been carried out to a PDF Galaxy, in the back of which was a Vector 421. The Committee examined the equipment, and gave their opinion on the following modifications that had been carried out:―
- Modified RSL - (now a standard 1 pin RSL attachment)
Proposed by Paul Applegate, seconded by Dave Chapman that this modification be accepted.
- Changing Closing Cable to a Pin
Proposed by Paul Applegate, seconded by Allan Hewitt that this modification be accepted.
RIGGERS 1st Feb 96
- The Chairmen presented a set of Tandem equipment manufactured by Parachutes de France, which had been updated to the ‘Atom’. This was basically the same as the Galaxy, but with a number of changes associated with the main system. One of the changes to the system was the toggle, which was another method of closing it up as opposed to the Velcro. Instead of being in a spandex pouch there is now a series of loops and grommets, so that when the drogue chute is pulled out the cable is pulled out as well.
Allan informed the meeting that he had looked at the equipment and was happy with the changes.
It was proposed by Allan Hewitt and seconded by Paul Applegate that the above equipment be accepted with the stated changes.
The meeting were also given a number of other modifications to the equipment. However, as Riggers had not seen the chest-mounted drogue release system as yet, they could not accept them at this stage.
|For: 5||Against: 0||Abstentions: 1|
RIGGERS 29th Aug 96
8. A.O.B. (NOT CLEARED for general use)
Permission to use a Tandem strong passenger harness with the Tandem Galaxy harness/container, the Tandem strong passenger harness has had the top butterfly clips altered to incorporate the locking pins. The kit was presented by Pete Carroll, this was proposed by Paul Applegate and seconded by Lofty Thomas.
|For: 6||Against: 0||Abstentions: 1|
RIGGERS 5th Dec 96
- Allan Hewitt asked the Committee if they would consider his request that the Tandem Atom be accepted for use in the UK.
Following some discussion on this matter it was proposed by Allan Hewitt and seconded by Paul Applegate that the Tandem Atom be accepted for use in the UK pending inspection by two Advanced Riggers one of whom must hold a Tandem Instructor rating.
RIGGERS 6th Aug 98
10. TANDEM REQUEST ― PETE SIZER (Cleared for All)
- Mr Sizer gave the meeting details of a request for to use a Tandem Vector Student harness with the Parachute de France Tandem Atom.
Proposed by Pete Sizer, seconded by Allan Hewitt, that the above proposal be accepted.
|For: 6||Against: 1||Abstentions: 3 (J. Curtis, J. Harding, P. Walters)|
RIGGERS 8th Oct 98
8. CLARIFICATION OF TANDEM MODIFICATIONS (Cleared for All)
Allan Hewitt advised the Committee that although the Parachutes de France Atom was cleared as a standard system, the Committee had not officially accepted the secondary handle on the Atom as Riggers had not seen the chest mounted drogue release system at that time, and this had never been brought back to the Committee.
It was therefore proposed by Pete Sizer and seconded by John Harding, that the secondary handle on the Parachute de France Atom be accepted for use.
12. A.O.B. (Cleared for All)
A letter had been received from Pete Sizer, which was circulated to those present requesting to put a PD360 reserve into a Tandem Atom container.
Following discussion on this item, it was proposed by Allan Hewitt and seconded by Rick Boardman that the above modification be accepted for use subject to it being checked by Pete Sizer and an independent Advanced Rigger before use. This would need to be ratified at the next Riggers Committee. It was also noted that no one else may put a PD360 reserve in an Atom container until it had been ratified.
Carried unanimously (but see below)
RIGGERS 18th Feb 99
2. MINUTES AND MATTERS ARISING... (Cleared for All)
Page 2, ltem 1 ― Matters arising AOB (iii). At the Riggers meeting of 8th October 1998 the Committee accepted a request from Pete Sizer to put a PD360 reserve into a Tandem Atom container subject to the modification being checked by an independent Advanced Rigger.
The Committee were advised that an inspection of the equipment had now been made by John Curtis. It was therefore proposed by Pete Sizer and seconded by John Curtis that the above modification be accepted.
RIGGERS 2nd Dec 99 & STC 10 Feb 00 (Safety Information 1/00)
Any recognised Tandem Main canopy
into any BPA accepted Tandem Container. IMPORTANT: See full wording in Part 2 - Tandem - General section
RIGGERS 5th Feb 04
- David Hickling asked Riggers to look at a Pdf Military Tandem rig, to be used for Student civilian use. He stated that it was similar to the Pdf civilian Tandem rig, other than additional ‘D’ rings on the harness and other minor differences, such as zips etc. He stated that it was to be used by BPS, Langar in the same way as they use their other Tandem equipment.
Following inspection of the equipment, it was proposed by Pete Sizer and seconded by Andrew Hilton that the above equipment be accepted.
The Chairman took on board John Curtis comments that equipment should be looked at first prior to it being presented to the Committee
|For: 4||Against: 0||Abstentions: 4 (including Bill Sharp)|